Almond Blanc Mange
What u need...
3 cups - Milk, divided
1/4 cup - Cornstarch
2 tbsp - Badam (Almond) powder
1/2 cup - White Sugar
1 teaspoon - Vanilla extract
2 - Cinnamon sticks
1 - lemon peel, cut into strips
1 pinch - ground cinnamon (optional)
3 ounces - shaved semisweet chocolate, for garnish (optional)
What u do...
- Place 1 cup of the milk into a saucepan. Add lemon peel and cinnamon sticks. Bring milk to a simmer over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, badam powder and sugar. Whisk remaining milk into this cornstarch & badam mixture. When the milk in the pan begins to simmer, pour the cornstarch mixture into the saucepan in a thin steady stream. Whisk vigorously and increase heat just a bit to bring the mixture to a gentle boil. Allow the mixture to boil for about 20 seconds while continuing to whisk, then remove from heat. Remove the lemon peel and cinnamon sticks. Stir in the pinch of cinnamon and the vanilla.
- Pour into a dish or mold, and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, or overnight. Garnish with shaved chocolate just before serving.
1. Almond Powder or Badam Powder is readily available in market. or u can even make it at home and prepare as below,
[ 1 cup almonds lightly roasted and grinded into fine powder, 1/2 cup sugar, 5-6 pods of cardamoms, a pinch of saffron (optional). Mix all the above mentioned ingredients and grind to fine powder and store in airtight containers. ]
2. You can use fresh milk or boiled milk for the dessert, though i prefer fresh milk.
3. Don't forget to strain the milk before the mixture starts to turns thick, for the removal of cinnamon sticks
4. You ca also use cardamom instead of cinnamon sticks as each has its own unique flavors
5. Garnishing can be according to you wish , u can even serve with fresh cream , whipped cream or even fresh fruits